Monte Cristo Sandwiches
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 pound deli ham thinly sliced
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 1/2 pound deli turkey or chicken breast thinly sliced
- 4 thin slices Provolone cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup Rice Krispies cereal finely crushed
- powdered sugar
- Strawberry/Raspberry jam
Spread one side of each bread slice with Dijon mustard. Make sandwiches with the two kinds of cheese and the ham and turkey slices.
In shallow bowl, combine egg and milk, and beat well. Place crushed cereal on a shallow plate. Dip each sandwich briefly into egg mixture, then into cereal mixture to coat.
Melt butter on griddle or skillet. Fry sandwich on low to medium heat until cheese is melted and sandwiches are browned. Sprinkle hot sandwiches with powdered sugar and serve with strawberry/raspberry jam for dipping.